Certified Dental Coder (CDC™) Examination Guidelines
To qualify for the CDC™ Exam you will be required to have the following :
- Current ADCA Membership in good standing
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Proof of two years experience in dental billing and coding
- Successful completion of the 8 week online CDC Prep-Course may substitute for 2 years experience
The CDC™ certification exam consists 50 random questions. The format includes fill in the blank, true and false, and multiple choice questions. The Association may use images, video, and/or problem based scenarios throughout the examination.
Once registered you may take the certification exam any day of the week at any hour you choose. You will be emailed instructions on how to access the exam engine within 24 hours after purchase.You must be a member of the Association in good standing to register for this exam. Once you begin you are given one hour to complete the exam in its entirety. If you fail the exam you will be given one opportunity to re-take the exam at no additional charge. Please note should you fail to pass the exam on the second attempt you will be required to wait 3 months and repurchase the exam in its entirety.
The exam format is a computerized, open book examination, delivered via the internet, based on the following coding manuals:
- Current year AMA CPT® Standard, Professional, or Expert Edition
- Current year ICD-10-CM Standard, Professional, or Expert Edition
- Current year ADA CDT®
Upon completion of the examination you will immediately receive pass/fail results. You must pass the exam with a minimum score of 80% to become certified. Official results and credentials will be mailed to those who pass the exam within 6-8 weeks of completion.